In cricket, a five-wicket haul (also known as a "five–for" or "fifer") occurs when a bowler takes five or more wickets in a single innings. This is regarded by critics as a notable achievement, equivalent to a century from a batter.
As of 2023, only twelve cricketers have taken a five-wicket haul in all three international formats of the game (Test cricket, One Day International and Twenty20 International): Sri Lanka's Ajantha Mendis and Lasith Malinga, India's Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Kuldeep Yadav, New Zealand's Tim Southee, South Africa's Imran Tahir and Lungi Ngidi, West Indies' Jason Holder and Alzarri Joseph, Bangladeshi Shakib Al Hasan, Pakistani Umar Gul, and Afghan Rashid Khan.
In 2018, Afghan cricketer Mujeeb Zadran, aged 16, became the youngest bowler to take a five-wicket haul in an ODI. In 2019, Pakistani cricketer Naseem Shah, also aged 16, became the youngest bowler to take a five-wicket haul in a Test match. Afghan cricketer Rashid Khan is the youngest bowler to take a five-wicket haul in a T20 international match; he was 18 at the time.
Sri Lankan Muttiah Muralitharan has taken the most five-wicket hauls in Test matches with 67, and Pakistani Waqar Younis has taken the most five-wicket hauls in ODIs with 13. The record for most five-wicket hauls in T20Is is two, which has been achieved by seven cricketers.
- List of cricketers with five-wicket hauls in all international formats
- Category:Lists of international cricket five-wicket hauls
- Ten-wicket haul
- "Eight five-fors and counting: Starc's record setting ODI pace". ICC]. 21 July 2021. Retrieved 10 November 2021.
- "Fifer in cricket: What do commentators mean when they say that a bowler has picked a fifer?". Sports Rush. 20 June 2021. Retrieved 10 November 2021.
- Pervez, M.A. (2001). A Dictionary of Cricket. Universities Press. ISBN 978-81-7370-184-9.
- de Lisle, Tim; Booth, Lawrence (2011). Young Wisden: A new fan's guide to cricket. A&C Black. p. 110. ISBN 9781408165256. Retrieved 30 June 2022.
- "About The Honours Boards". Lords.org. Retrieved 20 December 2021.
By scoring a century, taking five wickets in an innings or ten wickets in a match, a player ensures that their name is added to one of the famous Honours Boards in the Pavilion.
- "Mujeeb Zadran becomes youngest bowler to pick ODI five-for". The Indian Express. 16 February 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Pakistan's Naseem Shah becomes youngest pacer to pick five-wicket haul in Tests". The Hindu. 23 December 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- "Five-wicket hauls in WT20I matches – by age at the start of the match (youngest)". ESPNcricinfo. Archived from the original on 23 February 2020. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
- "RECORDS / TEST MATCHES / BOWLING RECORDS / MOST FIVE-WICKETS-IN-AN-INNINGS IN A CAREER". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "RECORDS / ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS/ BOWLING RECORDS / MOST FIVE-WICKETS-IN-AN-INNINGS IN A CAREER". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "RECORDS / TWENTY20 INTERNATIONALS/ BOWLING RECORDS / MOST FIVE-WICKETS-IN-AN-INNINGS IN A CAREER". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 21 October 2018.